Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Departures: New Australian film to take on homophobia


Cinema is a powerful medium to highlight issues that no one wants to discuss. Movies give a voice to those that need it most. This was the motivation behind award-winning director and cinematographer Dean Francis’s (Road Train and Boys Grammar) choice of Drown as his next feature film project.

Based on the acclaimed play by writer Stephen Davis (Blurred and City Loop), Drown highlights jealousy, homophobic fears and unrequited lust at its most graphic level.


‘I have never been moved by a piece of writing in my life like Drown’, said Francis. ‘When I read the Queensland Theatre Company play, I was determined to be a part of this, to bring this story to the screen and to showcase what I know many of my friends have experienced.  It shocks me to know that this subject is so taboo, and that this level of homophobia exists purely because of ignorance and fear.’

Drown follows the journey of three everyday Australians on a booze-fuelled night out that ends in tragedy and graphically portrays episodes of near-fatal bullying – shining an uncomfortable spotlight onto the true nature of homophobic fears among Australian men today.

‘Bullying figures are at horrific levels’ said Davis, ‘with over 300 million children across the world affected – this is unacceptable. I want Drown to start uncomfortable conversations within communities, I want people to watch, be horrified and learn – who knows, our film might make a difference!’

Dean is currently raising his budget through crowd funded campaign here and has confirmed Australian actor Matt Levett (Winners and Losers) for the lead role of Len.

Visit the movie's website here.

Image: A still from Drown.

No comments:

Post a Comment